More Pets Go Missing on July 5th than Any Other Time of Year
To make sure your pet is not one of them, I have listed 12 tips here.
You probably know these already, but just in case, here they are.
And, if you have one I did not mention, please let me know and I am happy to add it!
12 Pet Safety Tips to keep your pets safe over July 4th holiday
- Is your pet properly identified? (current id tag? microchip?)
- Going to watch a fireworks display? Leave your dog at home! (Fireworks are scary to our pets)
- Never light fireworks near your dog
- Do not put glow sticks around your pet’s neck & do not let them play with it. (If they bite it, liquid inside can poison them or if they swallow plastic, it could get lodged in their tummy)
- Dangerous “picnic/bbq” foods (see my list of just a few)
- Keep citronella candles, insect coils out of reach of your pets (smell is poisonous)
- Don’t Put Insect Repellant on your pet (poisonous)
- Sunburn: dogs with short, light-colored patches, hairless coats can get sunburn (do not use “people” sunscreen on your pet, it can poison your pet; ask your vet for a safe, pet sunscreen)
- Is it too hot outside? Do you know signs of heatstroke? What to do if you suspect heatstroke? (apply damp towel to your pet’s chest and undercarriage; give limited amount of water; put in shade; CALL YOUR VET TO LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY!)
- Never leave your pet in a parked car!
- Some people use booties on their dogs …. are they breathable? Pets perspire through panting & their paw pads, so if they cannot throw off “heat” through their pads because the booties are not breathable, they could develop heat stroke.
- Check the “7 Second Rule” before walking your dog.
See more details on these 12 Pet Safety Tips – open this link: July 4 Pet Safety Tips
Here are some foods to keep away from your pets:
- Bones: Certain bones can lacerate or obstruct your pets’ insides
- Cake batter: contains raw eggs
- Candy: contain artificial sweetener xylitol
- Chocolate: (dark/baking)
- Corn cobs
- Fatty Foods: rich, unfamiliar
- Fruits with pits
- Grapes and Raisins
- Onions and onion powder
- Raw Bread Dough
- Sage and other herbs
- Toxic Turkey: turkey skin
Keep them away from the bbq — they could get burned!