Put on rubber gloves & check their eyes. If your dog was sprayed in the face, it can cause temporary blindness and it will definitely sting their eyes, but it should not cause any permanent damage. If their eyes are red or irritated, flush immediately with cool water. You can also use veterinary eyewash products that are safe for dogs. (Contact your vet for their recommendation.) If you live in an area where skunks are common, keep this product on hand.
DIY REMEDY TO HELP GET RID OF SKUNK SMELL:
- 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution (found at any pharmacy or supermarket)
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing soap
Wearing rubber gloves, work the solution into your dog’s coat, washing him thoroughly. Don’t leave the solution on his fur for too long since peroxide can bleach his fur. Then rinse completely. You might have to repeat the process more than once.
Few Important Things to Remember:
- Make sure hydrogen peroxide is “fresh.” Once opened, it loses its strength
- Do not use anything stronger than 3%, as it can irritate your dog’s skin
- Use immediately after mixing
- DO NOT STORE IT — IT CAN EXPLODE IF KEPT IN A CLOSED CONTAINER
How Long Does Skunk Odor Last?
Unfortunately, skunk smell can last anywhere from 14 to 21 days. And, if your dog gets wet after these treatments, the smell may also return for awhile.
Resources: AKC; Wildside Wildlife Removal & Prevention Ltd.