What is different about these dogs?
What is the same?
Some are wearing a life vest ….. some are not.
6 Water Safety Tips for your dogs:
- Does your dog wear a life vest when on a boat? Yes? No? Does your child? Then why not your dog?
- Your dog can get Sunburn! Do not use over-the-counter human sunscreen on your dog – it is poisonous!
- Keep your pets safe from the heat! How? Do you know warning signs of heatstroke?
- Teach your dog to Swim! Contrary to popular belief, not all dogs can instinctively swim.
- Do you own a Pool? Did you teach your dog to get out of the water!
- Take care of your dog AFTER SWIMMING! What steps you should take.
Do you know the warning sign of heat stroke?
Some signs that animals are suffering heat exhaustion include:
When is it too hot to walk your dog?
Do you know the “5 Second Rule”?
- Behaving sluggish
- Dry nose, or warm feverish nose
- Excessive panting or drooling
- Glazed eyes
- Lack of energy
- Lack of response to name or commands
- Limited urine output
- Muscle tremors
- Rapid pulse
- Red/purple mouth
- Unsteady walking
- Warm pads on paws
“5 Second Rule”
- place the back of your hand on the pavement
- Count57 seconds: (1001, 1002, 1003, etc.)
- if you can’t leave the “back” of your hand on the pavement for 7 seconds
- then it is too hot for your pet’s paw pads to walk on that sidewalk
- It takes less than 1 minute for Hot Asphalt to blister the paw pads of your pet!